Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry; for anger resteth in the bosom of fools. Vs. 9
God told Moses, you shall not enter the land at which I promised you, you shall only see it from afar. So Moses saw the land at which God promised the children of Israel from afar, he didn’t come closer to it.
Because he was hasty to be angry and could not control it which caused him a lot.
So many of us are just like Moses or better still, worse than him and we lose a lot without knowledge.
A friend of mine once said to me,
If you’ve been stacking breakable plates for some weeks and one day you mistakenly hit the one at the bottom and everything falls, what happens, they break into pieces that you cannot pick them up and arrange again. That is what anger does, it can destroy what you’ve taken years to build, be it a relationship you’ve invested your resources, time and energy on, just a minute everything crumbles to the ground that you can’t find any part to pick and fix up.
Imagine how you will feel when plates you’ve taken your time and energy to arrange falls on the ground and shatters.
You will feel:
- Hate yourself
Moses anger caused him is life and his purpose was cut half way.
The reading scripture explains to us that anger rest in the bosom of fools, some bible version says in the lap of fools.
Nobody wants to be referred to as fool but then the scripture refers to anyone who is hasty to anger a fool.
Anger isn’t good for the heart because;
- It shortens your life span
- It makes the heart beat faster than normal i.e your blood pressure is always high
- It makes you grow older than your age.
Anyone who is quickly provoked to anger does not have friends because you send or drive people away from you with your hurting words. Nobody would want to be friend with someone who has anger issues because he/she will always hurt the people around them verbally or physically.
HOW TO REDUCE OR CONTROL ANGER
I know, that most times when we feel we can't do things scripture says,
With Christ we can do all things through Him that strengthen us.
So only Him can help us but there are some tips that we can use to control our temparement.
- Whenever you are angry with someone, leave the place and find a quiet place to sit and calm yourself.
- Think or brood over the issue; whenever you are out of sight away from the person you are angry with, you should sit and think or replay over how it started and what was the reason of the anger. When you are able to do that, you will know where you went wrong and where the other went wrong.
- Go to the person
- Talk to the person: Most times people who don't talk are always a victim of anger because they can't open up to the other person and there is no way the other will know where he/she went wrong. So, go to the person and talk to the person and settle things amicably.
So, do your best to control your anger and be not quickly provoked to anger because anger;
- Deprives us of our blessings and inheritance God has promised us.
- Deprives us of love from our loved ones.